These five photographs were probably taken soon after redecorations were carried out by Mr Tony Drury, in 1864. Note the gas bracket, and in the Saloon the gas lit chandelier. The Saloon.

Image Reference: JG_10_121.tif
Date: 1864
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 87x89
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: The Saloon, before the original carved, painted & gilded pilasters were returned by Queen Mary, & re-instated in the 1930s. The pilasters in the picture seem, however, to have the original capitals which, being more firmly attached to the wall than the rest of the pilasters, may not have been removed prior to the town’s purchase of the Pavilion. The 'damask' panels were painted imitation of fabric, with the background colour graduated to give a satin-like appearance. The border mouldings around these panels (and still there today) are largely of papier mache, probably made by Charles Bielefeld and installed in the 1850s. The furniture is part of a large suite (date of purchase uncertain), a very few items of which survive. The chandeliers were made up from those made for the Music Room restoration of 1850, and which would have become available for re-use after the return of some of the originals by Queen Victoria in the 1860s.

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Peggy Robinson
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society