These five photographs were probably taken soon after redecorations were carried out by Mr Tony Drury, in 1864. Note the gas bracket, and in the Saloon the gas lit chandelier. Music Room.

Image Reference: JG_10_123.tif
Date: 1864
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 87x89
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: The fireplace is the one carved from Caen stone in 1850 by John Thomas, to replace the original removed prior to the sale of the Pavilion. After being in position for some years it was painted in imitation of marble, as were the other Thomas fireplaces in the building. Such finishes were eventually removed, only surviving in the Music Room example. It was removed in the 1970s when replaced with a replica of the original. Although only 4 of the small chandeliers are visible, the other 4 were presumably there, out of shot, when this photograph was taken. 4 originals, together with the large central chandelier, having been returned by Queen Victoria, four copies of the original small chandeliers were made by Messrs C & J Reed in 1864. The mirror frame columns look similar to columns now in store in the Pavilion. These in turn appear very like the architrave columns seen in an aquatint of the Blue Drawing Room - a scheme removed when John Nash transformed the Pavilion between 1815 and 1821

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Peggy Robinson
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society