At the time of the building of Brunswick Terrace, as no shops were allowed there, this market building was erected between Upper and Lower Market Streets. Opened on 28 August 1828, it was a market for all forms of provisions. As shops later grew up in the neighbouring district the need for the market declined, and it ceased to be used as such by 1839. For many years it was used as a riding school and in recent times, as a wholesale grocers warehouse. This view shows the east side of the building On 11 October 1970 when these photographs were taken, the building was in a semi-derelict condition and its continued existence was doubtful.

Image Reference: JG_11_020.tif
Date: 1970
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 156x125
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society