WESTERN ROAD AND CAMBRIDGE STREET
Following the dramatic collapse of the Mint Casino building, in October 1973, this site remained empty and adjoining building shored up, for many years. Various schemes were put forward and rejected, before in 1983 demolition of neighbouring buildings (but not St Patrick’s Church) was undertaken. This involved the removal of what had been two elegant houses in Cambridge Road, but later shops. These were often wrongly described as Regency Houses, but they were built between 1850 and 1855, and they are seen at their best in the 1870’s views on other pages. Date of the photographs 31 May 1982. In due time offices and possibly shops will be constructed on the site.
Image Reference: JG_11_035.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 138x123
Additional Information: No comment
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society