LANSDOWNE TERRACE EAST
As described in the previous pages that part of Western Road, Hove between farm Road and Lansdowne Place, was originally called Lansdowne Terrace East, consisting of seven private dwellings approached y short flight of steps, and having forecourts. At No 3, two houses to the west of Farm Road lived Mr W H Mason, printseller, in business at 108 Kings Road, Brighton. As befits a successful trader, he had domestic servants to do household chores at this home. Here we see, the charwomen washing the steps leading to the house, and inside (in the following photograph), a maid laundering some clothes. Long since converted to a shop, the building is the present No 99 Western Road. The adjoining shop, to the west, No 98, a ladies hairdressers, still has steps leading up to its entrance. Mr Mason lived in this house for several years, so it is not possible to date the original photographs, but most likely they were taken during the 1860’s.
Image Reference: JG_11_044.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 116x135
Additional Information: © Phillipe Garner
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society