In 1914, at the time when Brighton Corporation were seeking powers to extend their tramway system into Hove and thence to Shoreham, Hove Corporation experimented with an electric trolley bus. This ran from the top of Goldstone Villas to the bottom of George Street and into the Church Road, opposite St. Aubyns. Only the one bus was in use and the service was free. Power was supplied from Holland Road Electricity Works, by cable along Cromwell Road and Denmark Villas to the terminal wires. The experiment lasted only four weeks and was discontinued. At night, the bus was kept at the Corporation depot in Sheridan Terrace and it was towed to and from George Street, by a lorry, and on one occasion, even by a horse and cart! Both these photographs show the bus in Goldstone Villas.

Image Reference: JG_14_051.tif
Date: 1914
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 108x157
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society and in memory of Elaine Violet Baird, Reference Librarian, Brighton, by her colleagues.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society