It is hard to realise that the sheep were grazing in a field fronting Denmark Villas, but such was the case in 1874, when this photograph was taken. The land formed part of Rigden’s Farm, which was then in process of being broken up, prior to the building of Church Road, The Drive and Wilbury Road among others. These houses 1-15, on the east side were not erected until 1876. The original photograph, of which this is a copy, was very old and faded which accounts for the poor reproduction.

Image Reference: JG_14_056.tif
Date: 1874
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 206x124
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society and in memory of Elaine Violet Baird, Reference Librarian, Brighton, by her colleagues.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society