Until the 1870s the area seen in these photographs formed part of Rigden’s Farm and when this was broken up for building this small part was left as open land. Soon it became nursery ground and in the 1920s was known as Miles' Nurseries, with the small bowling green behind. Nursery employees occupied the two houses seen in the next photograph, known as North Cottage and South Cottage. In 1929 this large building was erected on the nursery land. Its first use was as an Ice Skating Rink with film shows on Sundays. Ice skating failed to attract sufficient support and by 1932 the building had been converted to a cinema known as the Lido. Front View, in Denmark Villas.

Image Reference: JG_14_062.tif
Date: 1969
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 153x109
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society and in memory of Elaine Violet Baird, Reference Librarian, Brighton, by her colleagues.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society