CONWAY STREET REDEVELOPMENT
In 1960 Hove Corporation decided to make a comprehensive redevelopment of 5 acres between Sackville Road and Goldstone Villas. The area was to include the south side of Conway Street, the whole of Ellen Street, the north side of Clarendon Road and the intervening roads, such as Ellen Place and others. Some years were occupied in the purchase of the buildings to be cleared so that it was not until 1965 that demolition commenced. The scheme will be carried through in four stages starting from the Sackville Road end and is estimated to take ten years to complete. These photographs and those on succeeding pages show the streets and houses involved in this major project.
This view shows Conway Street, looking east from Conway Place. In the first stage houses were cleared as far back as No. 92. This is the oldest of these three lateral streets, having been started in 1876, the first houses being those between Goldstone street and Ethel Street.
Image Reference: JG_14_091.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 152x95
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society and in memory of Elaine Violet Baird, Reference Librarian, Brighton, by her colleagues.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society