EMPIRE CINEMA, HADDINGTON ROAD
These photographs, of 1929, show the entrance to the cinema, which was in Haddington Street. Prices of the seats in the stalls were 3d, 5d and 7d, while the luxury of the balcony cost only 9d and 1/-.
Talking pictures, introduced later in this year, presented difficulties, which the smaller cinemas found it hard to overcome. The Empire changed over to sound films in 1930 but the competition of the larger cinemas was too severe, and it closed in 1933 after a lifetime of 23 years.
Image Reference: JG_14_149.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 134x101
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society and in memory of Elaine Violet Baird, Reference Librarian, Brighton, by her colleagues.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society