NEW CHURCH ROAD AREA
This panoramic view was taken in 1900, from the top of Walsingham Road looking west. In those days it ran its straight course to Portslade, flanked by meadows, market gardens and brickfields. It affords a view of St Phillips Church and Lion Mews, while with the aid of a magnifying glass both Wish Cottage and Wish Barn can be picked out.
To the north can be seen Grange Road and Bolsover Road in course of building with a lone house in Portland Road.
The horse bus to Brighton is standing at its terminus opposite Carlisle Road.
Image Reference: JG_15_113.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 140x43
Additional Information: An enthusiast adds: "The date of the view apparently was 1899, but more importantly the terminus was further along as the terminus was NOT at Carlisle Road.
Most transport historians know the terminus was at Westbourne Villas, being the actual parish boundary of Hove & Aldrington."
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Hove Civic Society and The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society