Lovers Walk was an old path leading to Chandler’s Farm and so on to Preston. Formerly it straggled down from Hamilton Road, between two narrow walls and through allotments, but with the coming of the Railway a small arch was made under the embankment to preserve the right of way to the farm and beyond. About 1876 a new wide road was built from Hove crossing Dyke Road and continuing as Highcroft Villas and Dyke Road Drive. This latter was built hard up against Chandler’s Farm Cottages. A bridge across the railway then replaced the small brick archway and Lovers Walk soon assumed its present form. Land on the west side of Preston Road was sold by the Stanford Estate for house building, which bought an end to the Farm, though the Cottages remained. The photographs were taken about 1968/1970. This photograph and JG_18_115 shows Lovers Walk looking in both directions.

Image Reference: JG_18_113.tif
Date: 1968-70
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 90x80
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Preston Village Millenium Project and The Preston and Old Patcham Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society