Two adjoining buildings, 161 and 163 Preston Road, photographed on 31 May 1982, when it was known that they would be demolished. Good example of the solid Victorian Villas built facing Preston park, in the 1870’s and 1880’s, 161 being virtually unchanged externally saved for the paved parking area which replaced a lawn and shrubbery. Originally called Ferndale it was built about 1876 for Mr. H. Stafford Smith. In its final years it was the offices of the Royal Automobile Club. 163, built a year or two later, and very slightly different in its original façade, was the offices of the Cornhill Insurance Company. The buildings were removed in late 1985 and the inevitable large block of offices is now being erected here.

Image Reference: JG_18_118.tif
Date: 1982
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 153x97
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Preston Village Millenium Project and The Preston and Old Patcham Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society