REMOVAL OF OLD HOUSES, WESTERN ROAD
These photographs taken in 1923 show the demolition of buildings in Western Road, between Marlborough Street and Regent Hill. Here can be seen the original private houses, over the gardens of which had been built Victorian shop fronts.
The bay fronted house was No.180, in front of which was the two storied shop of Messrs. Johnson Bros. The high wall on the right was the side wall of Cave’s Oriental café, which remained in existence for a little longer.
The present premises of Johnson Bros. replaced these old houses, built in the early 1820s in 1929.
Image Reference: JG_19_076.tif
Image Details: Original monchrome image
Size of Original: 80x126
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Montpelier and Clifton Hill Association
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society