The Pier remained in its original form until 1890 when the pier head was considerably widened and the iron landing stages constructed. The windbreak dividing the long promenade deck was also erected at this period. A Pavilion was built in 1893. Ten years later, in 1903, this was converted to a theatre with a raked floor. The central concert hall was not built until 1916. The flat deck near to the entrance, was a very popular dance floor during the 1920’s. Admission was cheap – only 6d, but the rough surface was a bit hard on the feet his deck was converted to the miniature car track, and the entrance gates reconstructed in 1932. On the beach can be seen parts of the 1894 sea wall. On this site was built the children’s paddling pool and later the putting green, in the mid 1930’s.

Image Reference: JG_02_097.tif
Image Details:
Size of Original:
Additional Information:

This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society