This fine windmill formerly stood on the very summit of the Round Hill. It was built in 1838 on land leased from Thomas Reade Kemp who granted a right of way to the mill from Ditchling Road, across his land. For many years the mill stood remote from the houses but in the late 1870s the area began to be developed. Round Hill Road replaced the original right of way and houses were built on all sides of the mill. In the 1890s it was worked by steam power, the sweeps were made fast and the fan removed. It ceased working in 1910 and was demolished in 1913. The red brick houses in Belton Road now cover the site, four being built on the west side and six on the east side of the road. The date of the original photograph is about 1893. This reproduction is by kind permission of Mr. C.H.Cutress, 123 Church Road, Hove, whose grandfather purchased the mill in 1880.

Image Reference: JG_20_075.tif
Date: 1893
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 205x154
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by a number of Individual Donors
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society