ST JAMES’ STREET
The derelict old building seen here was for many years the Police and Fire Engine Station. It was the last building on the south side of this street, at the corner of Grafton Street, and had been used for this purpose from as far back as the 1840s. The letters on the wall above advertised the Crown Inn, the adjoining building at 24 Grafton Street. The year of the photograph is not known. It could have been the mid-1880s because in 1885 a replacement station had recently been built in nearby Freshfield Road.
Image Reference: JG_22_010.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 179x130
Additional Information: Advertisement for Harris Furnishing Warehouse and Rock Ales.
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society