Charles Howell who lived at Dial House, 3 Hove Terrace, endowed these tiny houses which were first occupied in 1859, and thereafter they were supported by voluntary contributions. He would have been a sad man could he have seen the poor condition of these cottages, when they were photographed a century later on 6 September 1964. They consisted just of two rooms, one up and one down, with a tiny kitchen and an outside water closet.

Image Reference: JG_22_047.tif
Date: 1964
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 155x120
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: Inscription reads: Erected 1858. Howell's Almshouses. For the reception of reduced inhabitants of Brighton & Hove.Under the direction of a Committee Management.

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society