This and the previous photograph show the Maltings and Stores, at the corner of Sutherland Road and Eastern Road. William Hallett of Marine Parade, founded the Brewery about 1850. Later he took into partnership Henry Abbey (after whose family Abbey Road was named) and in 1860s the Maltings were built adjoining Brighton College. The Brewery was successively named Hallett and Abbey’s, Abbey and Sons, Abbey’s Kemp Town and finally, Kemp Town Brewery. After being acquired by Charringtons brewing ceased here and the sites were sold for redevelopment. The buildings were all removed during 1970.

Image Reference: JG_22_138.tif
Date: 1967
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 144x113
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: This site is now occupied by Brighton College.

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society