Tucked away between Warwick Street and Essex Street, with an entrance from Upper Bedford Street, were these 10 tiny cottages built during 1830s. they faced north and got very little sunshine because at the rear was the malthouse, later the Rock Brewery Stores. At the western end All Souls School. The cottages were last occupied in 1929, but the present buildings bear some resemblance to the cottage facades, so perhaps they were gutted internally and put to business use. Year of photographs 1914. Half way along Essex Street from Lavender Street, was All Souls Infant School and Lecture Room. Just beyond was this narrow passage which ran under the building and then turned left into Essex Cottages. No trace of this now remains.

Image Reference: JG_22_178.tif
Date: 1914
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 95x114
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society