Latterly known as Widow's Cottages, these were originally Almshouses founded by Sir Thomas Bloomfield. They were built in the 1840s in Nottingham Street, later renamed Spa Street, after the German Spa in what is now Queens Park. When Spa Street was demolished in the late 1890s under a slum clearance scheme, and replaced by Tillstone Street, the old almshouses were left untouched and here they remained until 1947 when they were removed. They had been derelict for several years previously.
In the background is the chimney of St Andrews Presbyterian Church.

Image Reference: JG_24_042.tif
Date: 1946
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 154x100
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Duncan McNeill
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society