South of New York Street (seen in distance) was Fleet Street, or rather what was left of it. Built at the same period, the early 1850s, originally it contained 26 small houses, 14 on the west and 12 on the east side of the street. In 1905 they all went with the exception of these two, photographed on 12 February 1967. At the time of this clearance the roadway was widened, this being the reason for the removal of houses on the east side many of which had basements. The two remaining houses have lingered on for more than 60 years but will go with the others in the redevelopment scheme. Fleet Street was one of many streets in this area which were named after City of London streets.

Image Reference: JG_25_267.tif
Date: 1967
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 143x114
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Gavin Henderson in memory of his father, Magnus Reginald 'Jock' Henderson
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society