View towards Old Shoreham road from opposite Addison Road. the large house on the right was Chichester lodge, demolished in 1937 and replaced by the Good Companion Inn. The object of the dotted line was to denote the boundary between Brighton and Hove. Until 1928, the boundary ran between the gardens of Windlesham Gardens and Osmond Road, across Goldsmid Road. It then passed through 10 and 5, Melville Road, and through 2, Addison Road. Incidentally the marks of the boundary can still be seen in the kerbstones outside these three houses. It then crossed Dyke Road, passed through the garden of Chichester Lodge, took in the end house of Russell Crescent and the whole of Belmont, before emerging at the boundary stone at the junction of Prestonville Road and Old Shoreham Road.

Image Reference: JG_26_146.tif
Date: 1896
Image Details: Original monochrome print.
Size of Original: 200x150
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Anne Moncrieff
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society