Old houses, 16 – 21, awaiting demolition in October 1958. 20 years earlier, old houses in Regent Court, at the rear of these houses, were demolished and the site became derelict for nearly a generation. These houses were removed in 1960 and now, in 1962, a large building is being erected here for the Ministry of Labour. At the start of the 19th century this spot was known as the Church Hill chalk pit, and an old marine, Corporal Staines, who served under Nelson at Copenhagen lived in a cave hewn into the chalk.

Image Reference: JG_26_217.tif
Date: 1958
Image Details: Original monochrome print.
Size of Original: 158x111
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Anne Moncrieff
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society