This photograph, taken in 1907, is of the first pumping station to be established in Brighton. It was constructed in 1835 for the Brighton, Hove and Preston Water Company and was extended in 1853. It remained the sole pumping station until 1865 when a well was sunk at Goldstone, Hove.
Brighton Corporation acquired the water undertaking from the Company in 1873. The station remained in use until 1907, when it was closed down and replaced by the Falmer pumping station. All that now remains is the old boiler room, still standing at the rear of Saunders Playground in Lewes Road.

Image Reference: JG_28_102.tif
Date: 1907
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 95x70
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society