jg_03_129.jpg

KINGS ROAD

A present day copy of an old stereoscopic photograph, which was one of a dozen taken on a sunny day in the Autumn of 1863. The surprising bend in the roadway and pavement makes it difficult to realise that the photographer was standing opposite Ship Street and that the road turning at the right is Middle Street. Kings Road and the promenade were straightened and built out, in 1866. Note the sign on the lamppost directing people to the Post Office, then as now in Ship Street.

Image Reference: JG_03_129.tif
Date: 1863
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 199x102
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: ┬ęPhilippe Garner

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society