This view of Kings Road, and in particularly of the Old Ship Hotel, was taken in the summer of 1893. Note the tall lamp standards just being installed to replace the old gas lamps. Electric light was switched on for the first time in the September of that year. The corner building behind the lamp-post bears a very different appearance today. It was completely rebuilt in 1896.

Image Reference: JG_03_133.tif
Date: 1893
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 155x104
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society