jg_03_148.jpg

KINGS ROAD AND BEACH

This photograph, taken from opposite Ship Street, is much older, almost certainly dating from the 1850s. Note the flagstaff seemingly in the middle of Kings Road. This was the flagstaff of the West Battery, removed in 1858, after which it was moved to the south of the pavement adjoining the wooden railings. Top hats were fashionable among the fishing fraternity in those days.

Image Reference: JG_03_148.tif
Date: 1850s
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 203x139
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: ┬ęPhilippe Garner

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society