We can date this photograph with absolute certainty. At the end of Kings Road in East Street can be seen the actual building of the new Brill’s Baths, opened in 1869 and demolished in 1929.
The building in the foreground had an interesting history. Here were established the famous Shampooing Baths of the Indian, Sake Deen Mahomed. He achieved great success with the treatment of rheumatism and was appointed Shampooing Surgeon to George 1V and William 1V. At that period the balcony at the right of the building looked directly on to the beach below, because Grand Junction Road was not constructed until 1829.
When Mohamed retired the business passed to William Knight and later to Charles Brill. When the new Baths were erected, the old building was demolished and replaced in 1870 by Markwell’s Royal Hotel.

Image Reference: JG_03_175.tif
Date: 1869
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 219x170
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society