Three photographs of 1870, showing Kings Road almost devoid of traffic and of people. In the distance, the Chain Pier. The promenade was then quite narrow, being widened to its present width in 1886. At the far end of Kings Road can be seen Brill’s Baths, erected in 1869, while the building under construction was the Clarendon Hotel at the corner of East Street which replaced an old lodging houses known as Clarendon Mansion. It is this building which dates the photographs because it is well known that it was built in 1870.

Image Reference: JG_03_191.tif
Date: 1870
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 82x89
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society