107 years after the photographs on the preceding pages were taken, here is a view of the cleared site of those long engine sheds. The first locomotive was built at Brighton in 1852 and more than 1200 were subsequently built in these works. With the passing of the steam the buildings became redundant and were removed in the summer of 1969. These photographs were taken from a vantage point in Howard Place on 22 March 1970. At the time of writing, nearly three years afterwards this site of nine acres is still little used except for car parking, but must surely be put to some more profitable use ere long.

Image Reference: JG_31_088.tif
Date: 1970
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 150x112
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Frances and Martin Lindsay-Hills
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society