One of Brighton’s older street, dating from the 1820’s, though the buildings which concern us here are of much later construction. The view is of the east side of the street, form Upper Gloucester Road. Here formerly stood seven small houses, 28/35, reaching down to the Caxton Arms seen in both photographs and between 30 and 31 was a small building which had a variety of uses in the period 1913/1923, such as Motor Cab Works, Dancing Hall and Repertory Theatre. Finally, in 1928, this space with adjoining 29 and 30, was converted into a Depot for Southern Counties Dairies. After the last war this was extended southwards to the Caxton Arms 31/35 being demolished. This depot was removed in late 1989 and offices built on the site. This photograph was taken on 3 May 1986.

Image Reference: JG_31_140.tif
Date: 1986
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 154x104
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Frances and Martin Lindsay-Hills
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society