LADIES MILE ROAD
As recently as 1930, this was just a country lane. Turning out of the Old London Road, it ran between the farm buildings of Place Farm past Mile End Cottages shown in the photograph above and straggled away over the hill. On the reverse slope were the ancient Drove Cottages and Winfield Avenue, then a private road with a gate across it to prevent ingress. The only other building was the old drove barn. On the south side of the road above Warmdene Road, a few modern houses built in the 1920’s by far seeing people who had bought land cheaply before the area was transferred from Steyning Rural Council to Brighton Corporation in 1928.
This photograph looks towards the west to the old village and the London Road. The by-pass road seen in the background was constructed in 1925.
This photograph, and following, show the conversion of the narrow lane into the present wide road in 1933.
Image Reference: JG_35_001.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 154x96
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by the various benefactors of the collection.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society