DEVELOPMENT OF LADIES MILE ROAD
In 1905, as this photograph shows, this was just a country lane, leading from Patcham village to Old Boat Corner, and thence via Coldean Lane, to Lewes. Then, as now, the cottages were known as Drove Cottages and were occupied by workers on the nearby farms. Note the old barn, on the left, now the Barn Methodist Church. The stretch of the Drove, from here to the Downs, was also known as the Ladies Mile.
Image Reference: JG_35_003.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 154x96
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by the various benefactors of the collection.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society