This was established in 1865, by the Brighton and Preston Water Company, and was second only to the Lewes Road Pumping Station which dates from 1853.
Originally there was only one engine, but when Brighton Corporation took over the undertaking in 1873, a second well was sunk and another engine installed which started working in October 1876.
This is an original photograph of the well-sinking operations, in 1874.
Image Reference: JG_36_006.tif
Image Details: Original sepia toned monochrome print
Size of Original: 196x122
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Friends of West Blatchington Mill
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society