PORTSLADE GAS WORKS AND THE CANAL
This old photograph must have been taken in 1870 or soon afterwards because although the Retort House was built it was not roofed in and the Purifying Shed is seen in the background. The piles had been driven to construct No.1 wharf. On the extreme right is seen the cottage then occupied by the Wharfinger and Yard Foreman. The men and a few women are standing on a long Gantry at the end of which is the wherry used to transport the men across the canal, thus avoiding a long walk around via Hove. The wherry carried from 30 to 40 men and was hauled across by means of ropes fixed to the Gantry at the north side of the canal and the canal bank on the south side.
Image Reference: JG_38_046.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 245x119
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Carolyn and Richard Williams,Judy Pratt,Trevor Povey and Ian Farrell, members of the Portslade Local History Group
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society