This ancient photograph, taken from the bank of Wellington Road about opposite Camden Street, gives a good view of the Canal and surrounding area about 100 years ago. There is no means now of establishing the exact period but the references to Hallett’s Bavarian Ales suggests that it was sometime in the 1870s. Also the row of stakes in the water appear in the same place in another photograph of known 1870 vintage. Portslade Mill is just screened from view by the lower of the houses of Wellington Road.
Image Reference: JG_38_048.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 278x140
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Carolyn and Richard Williams,Judy Pratt,Trevor Povey and Ian Farrell, members of the Portslade Local History Group
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society