BRILL’S BATHS – ALSO KNOWN AS “BRILL’S BUNION”
A remarkable photograph, still in excellent condition, of which this is a good copy. It is of the Baths, built in 1823 for Mr Lamprell, at the extreme eastern end of East Street, which protruded out into the seafront at Grand Junction Road, hence the nickname “Bunion”. On Lamprell’s death his nephew Charles Brill inherited the Baths. It was a circular, domed building with a diameter of some 50 feet. The photograph probably dates from the 1860s as the Baths were removed in 1869 and the presents Clarendon Mansions built on this site.
Not to be confused with the later well known Brill’s Baths (1869/1929) which stood at the corner of East Street and Pool Valley.
Image Reference: JG_04_006.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 157x128
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Ulla Dunlop in memory of her husband, Dr Ian Dunlop
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society