This is a photograph showing the original appearance of the Hotel. Built on the site of Russell House that was pulled down in 1822, the Hotel was opened on 5 August 1826. It fell upon hard times towards the end of the last century and was closed in 1900, remaining unoccupied until 1913. It was then acquired by Sir Harry Preston and soon became one of Brighton’s most fashionable hotels. Alterations on the ground floor to the south and east took place in the 1920s and 1930s. Date of photograph unknown. Almost certainly, however, 1870 or a year or two later.

Image Reference: JG_04_042.tif
Date: c.1870
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 203x155
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Ulla Dunlop in memory of her husband, Dr Ian Dunlop
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society