These small whitewashed cottages formed a quiet oasis between the busy traffic of Middle Street and West Street. Originally twelve in number, they derived their name from Daniel Hayllar, a carpenter who lived for many years at 19 Middle Street. Their age was uncertain but probably they were built about 1830 – 1840. Two cottages were demolished about 50 years ago but the remaining ten stood until 1935, the year when these photographs were taken.
The narrow entrance from Middle Street is still there, but the entire site is now the garden of 18 Middle Street.
View from the end of the court looking east towards the entrance from Middle Street, showing also the rear of 19 Middle Street, the house in which lived Daniel Hayllar.
Image Reference: JG_7_113.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 156x110
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Brighton Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society