This was one of the oldest houses in Hove – certainly it was the oldest of the buildings remaining in Hove Street. Its exact age was unknown. It is thought to date from the end of the eighteenth century and to be contemporary with Cliff House School , photographs of which are seen on other pages. For most of the last century it was used as a private school, under a variety of proprietors and headmasters. After the sale of the southern part of its garden, and the erection of the massive Hove Lodge mansions, in 1897, its use changed to residential and then to flats. The building at the rear, seen here, was a much later extension and just an addition to the flats. Date of photographs – 31 August 1986 since when the buildings have been demolished. Sadly, in its last years it was damaged by squatters, hence the boarding up.

Image Reference: JG_12_161.tif
Date: 1986
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 152x141
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society