St Aubyns, or St Aubyn’s Place as it was first named, was laid out in 1860 and the building commenced at the southern end in the same year. The first houses, built by Mr Jabez Reynolds, extended to No. 18 on the west side, and to No.19 on the east. Higher up on the east side was the Archery, which was opened by the Hove Toxophilate Society in 1863. The targets were 60 to 80 yards apart. On the west side of the road were the nursery gardens of Balchin and Nell, containing greenhouses and large stone tanks. In this photograph can be seen, at the extreme left, Old Hove Parish Church, and to the right, the rear of George Street School, opened in 1858 to serve the newly built district of Cliftonville. The large building behind the trees was the Brighton Brewery, built in 1852 and removed about 1900. On open ground behind the trees were saw pits on the site of the present Seafield Road, and the buildings on the extreme right are the backs of the houses on the west side of Osborne villas. This photograph is a reproduction of the original which was taken at some time between 1863 and 1870.

Image Reference: JG_12_186.tif
Date: 1860s
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 205x154
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society