The chimney encased in scaffolding prior to its demolition, photographed on 13 March 1974. It was built in 1903 for the Hove Electric Lighting Company, which then occupied this site.
In the 1920s it was taken over by Hove Corporation Electricity Works and remained as such until 1931, when the site became the Corporation Refuse Destruction Depot. A source of great nuisance to the residents of Leighton Road and neighbouring streets because of the thick smoke emitted, it came down in April 1974.

Image Reference: JG_16_122.tif
Date: 1974
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 104x153
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society