When the first meeting was held here on 2 June 1928, the Stadium stood in open country, the nearest houses being a few in Old Shoreham Road, near Leighton Road. In that summer the centre was left in a rough condition and was not laid out as a field for Rugby football until 1929. Speedway, or dirt track racing as it was called, was tried out in 1929/1930, but was not a success. Note the primitive original stand and the uncovered East side

Image Reference: JG_17_084.tif
Date: 1929
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 99x154
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society