This fine aerial photograph of this area was taken in 1947. There had then been no building after the end of the 1939-1945 war, so all the houses seen were pre-war built. Note the vast area to the west of Woodland Avenue, later developed by Cooks, the central area of Hill Drive and Hill Brow, and beyond Hove Park the market garden land behind Goldstone Crescent. The Greyhound Stadium was opened in June 1928.

Image Reference: JG_17_098.tif
Date: 1947
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 202x112
Place: Hove
Additional Information: Annotated:"A remarkable photograph of the Brighton and Hove Stadium seen nestling at the foot of the South Downs. When the Marquis of Carisbrooke saw this picture he remarked 'Surely the ideal setting for the Ascot of Greycing'".

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society