The original Arcade, shown in these photographs, had a very short life of only 11 years. In 1923, the extensive premises of Smithers’ Brewery which covered a large area with frontages at 201, Western road and 89/90 North Street, was demolished. The cleared site was utilised for the construction of this arcade of shops, curving from Western Road through into North Street. There were 9 shops on the east side of the Arcade and 8 on the west. In 1934, when the widening of the last block of old Western Road was undertaken, the whole of the east side had to be rebuilt, which necessitated the removal of the glass roof for the time being. The Western Road entrance was set back several feet and redesigned. Many years ago, the house behind Dolcis shop was occupied by the Brewery manager and had a front garden in which stood a large tree. The Brewery chimney kept a lonely vigil for many years, and even now, in 1951, the severely truncated relic can be seen from Regent Row, though not visible from Western Road.

Image Reference: JG_19_103.tif
Date: 1932
Image Details: Original monochrome image
Size of Original: 96x154
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Montpelier and Clifton Hill Association
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society