This large house, with a guard rail in front, was built about 1860, in what was known as Gypsy Lane, for Mr Daniel Hack, a well-known Quaker. In 1892, it was owned by Mr E.A.Wallis who still lived there in 1940, so for its first 80 years the house seems to have had but two owners. For a time it stood empty, until requisitioned by Brighton Corporation to house problem families who had been evicted or were without homes. During this period conditions here were so bad that it acquired the colloquial name “Heartbreak House”. Photographed on 30 August 1956, it was later demolished and Council Flats built on the site.

Image Reference: JG_20_057.tif
Date: 1956
Image Details: Original monochrome image
Size of Original: 157x109
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: Daniel Hack was a wholesale grocer and was on the 1871 Census living at 151 Upper Lewes Road.

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by a number of Individual Donors
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society