On this, and two succeeding pages, are eight photographs of this large Depot taken during the autumn of 1964, when many changes were happening. The depot seems to have started here in the 1850s: in the 1859 Directory it is described as the Parish Dustyard and doubtless the refuse was just heaped about the extensive area. Later a railway line was run in from the Brighton-Lewes line probably for removal of the rubbish or clinker. At this period Hollingdean Road, or Dog Kennel Road, as it was called ran straight up from the Railway arch to Ditchling Road, following the line of the roadway seen at the left of this photograph. The entrance to the depot from the east. Photograph taken from near the Railway arch. The central building has now been removed.

Image Reference: JG_20_093.tif
Date: 1964
Image Details: Original monochrome image
Size of Original: 150x116
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by a number of Individual Donors
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society