There have been great changes in this area during the past 40 years. Balfour Road, named after the Prime Minister, was projected in 1901 and built up as far as 148 on the east side, by 1914. These photographs were taken from the window of 134 in 1921, and the road remained in this rough condition for a few more years. By 1927, the road, still in rough condition, had been carried through to Ditchling Road (Varndean Girls School was built in 1926) and three more houses had been built. All the present houses had been built and the road made up by 1934. The ground within the wooden fence was then the playing filed of York Place School. Balfour Road School was built on the adjoining field in 1925. To the left can be seen the buildings and ricks of Varndean Farm then farmed by Jesse Hobden. Surrenden Road is seen on the skyline, with the solitary house, Maycroft, nowadays screened by trees. Varndean Boys School was built in the meadow below this house, in 1932. To the right note the small trees flanking Ditchling Road, the farm buildings where Friar Road is now, and the Hollingbury Court Estate with the roof of the house just visible among the trees.

Image Reference: JG_20_137.tif
Date: 1921
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 152x108
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by a number of Individual Donors
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society