In this photograph can be seen five Council houses, lying back between Hereford Street and Essex Street on 12 February 1967. Lavender Street had been widened here in 1928 and ancient cottages removed. These Council houses had a very brief life however. 40 and 41 (behind the lorry) were built in 1929 and 42, 43 and 44, by Essex Street, in 1933. All were swept away in 1967 during the stopping-up of Lavender Street.

Image Reference: JG_22_185.tif
Date: 1967
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 145x113
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society